- 1 cup almond meal (or other ground nuts)
- 30 ml/1 fl oz dark rum (about a shot glass)
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons brown rice malt syrup or maple syrup ( you can also get away with just 1 tablepsoon if you like it less sweet)
- ½ cup sultanas or raisins
- zest of 2 oranges
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- extra cocoa and desiccated coconut for dusting
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process into a thick, doughy mixture. It should be coming off the sides and sticking together.
- Roll into small balls using your hands. Note that your hands will be oily from coconut oil inside which makes it very easy to roll the balls without the mixture sticking to your fingers. No need to wet your hands.
- Dust the finished balls with some desiccated coconut and extra cocoa powder. Place on a plate and refrigerate, covered with cling wrap. Store in an air-tight container in a cool place, refrigerator if possible, before serving. These should keep for a week if not a little longer.
Thanks to eatdrinkpaleo.com for this recipe