Have you set the same resolutions year after year?
You know the ones…
- Lose 5kg
- Get Fit
- Tone Up
So, what is a New year’s Resolution anyway? Well, according to Wilkipedia it is a tradition, most common in the Western World but also found in the Eastern World, in which a person resolves to continue good practices, change an undesired trait or behaviour, accomplish a personal goal, or otherwise improve their life at the start of a new year.
Overall, resolutions sound great but the reason I’m not a huge fan is that simply making a resolution is only about 10% of what it is going to take to accomplish your goals.
So many people set resolutions and are disappointed when they don’t achieve them. As a result, you begin to think that you can’t change, but the reality is that setting a resolution is just part of the solution. It’s like reading The Secret and hoping that visualising your dream life is going to make it happen.
I have some bad news for you. It’s NOT.
Yes, you need to be able to visualise your goals becoming a reality, but it’s not enough to make it happen.
The main part of accomplishing your goal is TAKING ACTION. Having a plan, working out what daily actions you need to take to achieve your goal.
Let’s say you have a goal of losing 5kg.
The ACTIONS you need to take to make this happen might be:
Commit to daily exercise
- Set my alarm for 5am each day, lay my clothes out the night before.
Reduce my overall calorie intake
- Plan out my weekly meals
- Pack my food for work each day
- Keep accountable by maintaining a food diary or logging my food in MyFitnessPal each week
- Weigh and measure once a week to track my progress
Doesn’t sound too sexy or exciting, does it?
That’s another point I want to discuss. If you REALLY, REALLY want to achieve your goals, then you need to learn to get uncomfortable.
Making changes is hard, it’s uncomfortable.
Do you think I like setting an alarm each day? Getting up at 4:45 or 5am?
Do you think I feel like exercising every day?
Do you think I feel like saying no to that piece of cake?
Do you think I feel like putting in extra hours working or studying to achieve my business goals?
Most of the time I do it because I know EVERY SINGLE LITTLE ACTION I take is getting me a step closer to achieving my goals and living the life I want.
Are you someone who blurts out an excuse or reason you can’t, every time it comes to making change?
Maybe it’s time you had an honest look at yourself and asked yourself ‘why am I afraid to change?’
Why am I so scared to get uncomfortable?
I know many people won’t like reading this. They would prefer a big hug and some motivational quotes, although as nice as they both are they don’t create change.
You create change by taking action!
This year my goal is to toughen up that bit more.
Last year taught me I am stronger than I thought, but I know I can do more.
If I really want to achieve my goals it is going to take getting quite uncomfortable. I’m going to do the things I don’t want to do.
Why? Because the feeling of achieving your goals and creating a life you love is worth every single minute of being uncomfortable.
Here are some habits I’m working on in 2022
- Less phone scrolling and social media scrolling. My phone is being moved out of my bedroom and I’m buying an alarm. I’m back to reading before bed!
- When I’m catching up with someone, my phone is put away. I must say I normally do but I want it to be far away. If I’m taking the time to be with someone, I want to be present. I HATE it when you meet someone, and they are constantly on their phone. I don’t want to be that person.
- Exercising each day. I’ve created a schedule and booked it into my week. I want to MOVE each day. It doesn’t mean hardcore exercise every day, but our bodies are designed to move and even on a rest day some stretching, walking or gardening is good for the body and more importantly the mind.
- I want to reduce my alcohol intake. Normally, I’m just a few on the weekends but it has become a regular habit. So, for the month of January there will be none. I just want to force myself to get uncomfortable and teach my brain I can break any habit I choose.
- During work I have allocated time to marketing my businesses and I need to make these tasks a priority. I will force myself to achieve these tasks regardless of whether I am in the mood or not. I want to get into the habit or writing regularly and not waiting for inspiration to hit!
Well, I think that’s about it for me.
Most importantly, I will be planning in lots of nice times with family and friends and making the most out of each day.
I will MAKE TIME FOR WHAT IS IMPORTANT.
So, what ACTIONS are you going to take to make 2022 amazing?